A 1940's Style Handbag ♥ that I made

Hi!

The bag was inspired by a 1940's handbag in one my vintage booklets.
I used a piece of 1950's Barkcloth.
I love the closure style.


A view of the front.
I used a very rigid stabilizer to get a round shape.
I fell a bit short on a perfect circle though. 
I should have doubled the stabilizer.
I did a bit of surface stitching around some of the design
and added layered vintage buttons
for the loop to pull over.


Each end has this embellishment.
I used a piece of the feed sack lining and made an abstract cut
which after the fact I realized I had created wings. :0)
And then more layered buttons.


And here's the vintage feed sack lining.


This is the page from the vintage booklet.
I think this is a timeless design, don't you?

I'm sharing my handbag with Quiltstory for Fabric Tuesday




Fresh Poppy Design

Hope everyone is having a good day
and staying cool!

Thanks so much for visiting with me.

Sweet Southern Hugs
Stephanie Suzanne

***

“Style is the perfection of a point of view”
 Richard Eberhart


Photo Copyright
Stephanie Suzanne


13 comments:

Marilou of Lulu's Lovlies and Heartful Creations said...

That bag you made Steph is wonderful! Love it! Hugs and Smiles Marilou

Terri said...

Fantastic! Hmmm maybe I should make one!

KatyDidStitches said...

Oh...this is GORGEOUS! Did you say you have the pattern? (drools)

Kathy

Beverly said...

That is adorable Steph!! The barkcloth is almost exactly the same that my grandparents had as curtains when I was growing up. Oh, if only I had that barkcloth now!! But when their house went up for auction....well, what did I know way back then!! Glad to see you are using that wonderful studio of yours!!!

Sandra Kaye said...

Oohhh, yummy purse. Stephanie you are a wonder!!! Great job!! ---hugs--- sandie

Elaine said...

Thanks for the comment and I did find a way to fix my old blog so will be keeping it. I have a friend who sews and quilts up a storm ..she does not have blog so I will have to show some of her things now and then. Happy weekend

Rebecca said...

That is so neat!!!! I love barkcloth and what a cool use for it! Wish I could sew!

T's Daily Treasures said...

I would say that your bag is even better than that which inspired you! Love the barkcloth and the feedsack you used on the inside. They look great together. Have a good weekend. Tammy

Nancy Maxwell James said...

Hi Stephanie! I love your new blog! This little bag is just the sweetest!

Pat said...

Your handbags are terrific. I love your designs.

Elaine Biss Designs said...

Oh Stephanie! I love this purse! You are so truly gifted and talented. Is there anything you cannot do?? Style is indeed the perfection of a point of view. You`ve got the view down perfectly!

Love and Joy!
Elaine

The Paper Mulberry said...

Oh Stephanie Suzanne that is so gorgeous! I absolutely adore the vintage fabrics you have used and the quilting is perfection! Hugs from an old farmhouse in England - Glenda xxxxxxxxx

Laurie said...

Oh my goodness, I love this like crazy! Amazing! The fabrics are divine!